Saturday, November 14, 2009

Operation Christmas Child

Our sunday school class decided this year to participate in Operation Christmas Child! Its a great program and I was excited when I found out we were particapating as s.s class! I had previously heard about it, so was grateful we choose to do it!
If you don't know what it is, its an organization through Samaritan's Purse. You fill an empty shoe box with items for a child in need and they will deliver them to children in poverty in different countries. Very cool! If you get a chance take a look at website....http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/index/

This week I took the girls to fill the shoe box we filled! I explained to both of them what we were doing. Ashlee understood to an extent and Anna had no clue. She thought we were buying all the stuff for her...lol. It was very sweet watching Ashlee pick out what she wanted to send to the little girl. She didn't quite understand why we had to send it to her and we couldn't just take it to her...oh how I wish one day we would be able to go to a foreign country to work with children less fortunate.

Our Sunday school class had a packing party fellowship tonight. It was lots of fun! The kids got to decorate the shoe boxes before they are delivered to the drop off site. When you choose to do a shoe box, they ask for a small donation for shipping and other expenses. If you are able to do the donation online, they will send you an email and you can track where your shoe box goes! I thought that was pretty neat! So, one day we will know where are shoe box was delivered!

I enjoyed this experience and hopefully taught Ashlee a little bit about giving! I am so excited for this Christmas! I was inspired by a song named "Give this Christmas Away" by Matthew West (of course!) LOL! But it really does have a good message and it will encourage your heart to give something this Christmas instead of focusing on receiving. It has encouraged me to ask myself what I can give to others than just to my family and friends......maybe just prayers or something else, I don't know. What will you give away this Christmas?



No comments:

Post a Comment